Monday, April 26, 2010

Regaining Meaning Through the Loss of Identity - Blog for Keats

The Camelion

I had to take a step back in order to think about Keats' view on the lack of identity of the poet. In context, I suppose Keats is attempting to get the reader to ponder the very question that all writers fear in their quest for creation: are the words on the page merely just a copy of what I deem the world through my eyes, or is my writing a construct of what I see at any given moment; therefore, making it authentic and true? This is my interpretation of Keats' purpose for calling a poet "the most unpoetic of all God's creatures." Keats' "Lamia" is a relevant example in considering this because the work as a whole seems to be dealing with the very nature of philosophy and its attempt to separate the life of reason (cold, destructive, fatal) against the emotional life (unreal) -both turn out to be fatal attempts as we continue on through the reading. If the Poet gives up his illusions he will regain personal identity, but losing them would destroy the very nature for his passion of creating in the first place. It is a trap -- a paradox. Perhaps this was the purpose of Keats' letter. Anyone who attempts to separate the two spheres will indeed be disappointed.

No comments: